Walgens CEO Tom McCallum said the chain “disgusted” by the practice.
Walgreens has been the subject of an internal investigation by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau after a number of lawsuits surfaced in recent months.
McCallum said that he has seen no evidence of wrongdoing by the company, which has more than 11 million customers nationwide.
“I’m not a lawyer, but I can tell you that I am disgusted by it,” McCallums statement reads.
According to The Wall St. Journal, the CEO also said that the company will begin allowing people to request vouchers for tobacco products, but the vouchers won’t be given out to all customers.
The vouchers will be given to people who are “eligible for other vouchers,” he added.
For those who want to request a voucher for tobacco product vouchers, the vouchers will expire on November 1, McCallms statement reads, “but you can always return them.”
A Walgess spokesman said that there is no plan to add this type of service to any other products.
The company is not the first major brand to have come under scrutiny for its tobacco vending practices.
Last month, the British grocery chain Tesco suspended all cigarette vending at its stores after a string of lawsuits emerged.
A group of customers and a union representing workers at the supermarket’s retail stores also filed a class action lawsuit against the company alleging that the vending practices were discriminatory and unfair.
Follow Stories Like This Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.